Saturday, June 30, 2012

Getting Back On Track & Just Look at what they are doing at the Wat Opot Craft Project

Time is passing by and it has been awhile since I have posted anything on this blog regarding updates with the Craft Project . The reasons for this are, Earth Quakes, Over stretched , Exhaustion both mentally and physically ( last year) and was needing a total realignment in my intentions and directions of my heart.

So Here I Am!!!..... Rested, Realigned and Rearing to go with a stronger more passionate heart for the things that matter very much to me in this world...........The biggest one of them being Wat Opot Children's Community Southern Cambodia, and my continued efforts and resolve in helping give the children opportunities to keep growing their confidence and self empowerment through learning the skills of art and crafts and in turn, them sharing those learned confidence's and skills and inspiring other children with personal growth.
Since my last visit in October 2011 the children's craft room/shop project has had the most amazing support and direction added to it by a woman who I have the up most respect for 'Melinda Lies". Since my last visit in 2011 when it was supported that a permanent room could be  allocated  for the craft project, and with the team effort of children/volunteers (visiting at that time that) and one monk, the craft room was painted and sewing machines repaired and an area for the made Jewellery to be show cased was set up. It was a special time for us all at Wat Opot......Lots of learning, lots of fun and lots of smiles.

AND NOW...........Wow!! ......with the continued enthusiasm dedication and support of  the fabulous Melinda Lies and the wonderfully dedicated Wayne Matthysse (Co Founder of Wat Opot's Children Community), the Craft project has now moved into another stage of growth and development. Not only for the Children but for it's presence and positive contributions that Craft and Art room is giving to the live of the children and teenagers at Wat Opot's Childrens community. 

Today I have received yet another email of photo's and update's on how it is all progressing forward for them at Wat Opot and their Jewellery creations.   Here is a link to Melinda's  Blog that will update and fill you all in....please click on the following links to learn more:



And some more Photo's to look at of what these most Talented Children have been up to with their creativity.................. I am so in awe of them...........

An old saying goes " Give a man a fish and he will feed his family for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can feed his family for a life time".

Fish? Jewellery?  Same Same but different!








I look forward to my return in September / October of this year...........and hopefully with some Sponsorship as well..........
There is nearly 60 kilo's of donated Beads and Jewellery components to ship off tho Wat Opot's children's community over the next year.....so if anyone has some inspirations or idea's on how this could be achieved then please email me : Fiona Newsome    feebs@clear.net.nz

Thank You for taking the time to read and share in this experience of what Wat Opot's children are up to in their part of the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment

How this Journey Began

Fund Raising Journey 2008 / 2009

Hi My Name is Fiona,
I am ‘FEEBS’ Paua flowers & Flowers For Cambodia NZ ’
In August 2007 after reading an article in the Readers Digest NZ I created and followed a great opportunity to visit Project Wat Opot in the Takeo Provence Cambodia.
Whilst there I was so inspired by what they were trying achieving there I knew I had to return to help with what skills I had, and to share them with them.

To my knowledge Project Wat Opot up until January 2007 was an orphanage for children, some of whom were dying from the HIV virus. For 8 years prior to 2007 Wat Opot saw many of the children and some of their parents succumb to the virus.

January 2007 brought a new trail medication which then gave an opportunity for for the children to have prolonged life. Project Wat Opot was faced with a new challenge with the children that were HIV positive, it was impossible for them to return to a normal community. Discrimination and Stigma.
They have now changed their status as an orphanage to a ‘Community’ with a vision to be completely self sufficient.
They are doing this by welcoming the learning of any trades that can offer them the potential to bring money and to learn a trade that can help support their community.

The Trade that I can teach them is jewellery making for the commercial market of which I have a vast range of experience in this field.

What I am aiming to achieve in my time there in July 2009 is not only to teach them techniques of the jewellery trade but to look at their own resources and help develop some products that can make and will be sellable to the rapidly growing tourist trade.

I now have another passionate person joining me in going to Project Wat Opot . Marijke Lups is an Arts and Crafts teacher in Chirstchurch New Zealand and is completely and utterly inspired about what is happening at Wat Opot as I was when I first read about Wat Opot.
We fly out for Cambodia from New Zealand on the 13th July 2009 and will be at the project for about 5 weeks. While there we will be teaching our skills of Art and crafts and how to be creativily resourceful with what resources they have to make some stunning jewelly and Craft products.

Follow my journey with Wat Opot ...read the posts I have added below to keep you updated.
Check out their Wat Opot's new website and be inspired yourself
http://www.watopot.org/